Course Qualification - BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Sport
The BTEC Extended Certificate in Sport is currently equivalent to 2 GCSE grades A*-C. Students can achieve Distinction, Merit and Pass grades. Students will study it for approximately 5 hours every 2 week cycle which will mainly include theory work with some practical work incorporated. It comprises of:
- Core units:?Fitness for Sport and Exercise (exam unit) and?Practical Sports Performance
- Mandatory Unit: Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Performance
- Specialist units:?The Sports Performer in Action and?Training for Personal Fitness
The course is particularly suited to students who are skilful in a variety of Sports and is valuable for those seeking to pursue a career in Health and Sports related Industries.
Students are continually assessed through coursework and practical tasks. Most units are assessed internally; however two units are assessed externally.
Students choosing BTEC Sport should have a genuine interest and knowledge of sport. Only one unit will be practically based, although other units may involve some aspects of practical learning. Each unit will be taught for 60 hours and will involve project, assignments and pupils own research. Students choosing BTEC Sport should possess such key skills as:
- Working independently and meeting deadlines.
- Working as part of a team/group.
- Using a variety of ICT applications.
- Motivation and a desire to work hard in order to achieve success.
Skills and qualifications gained from this course can help towards careers in Coaching, Personal Trainers, Physiotherapy, Teaching, Health and Fitness, Professional Sport.
For more information contact Mrs L Swift (Head of PE)