Privacy is the right to be left alone, or freedom from interference or intrusion.
Assessments into the risk of a loss of privacy for individuals should be made by staff in certain circumstances, such as the following:
- New projects / plans / proposals
- New administrative systems with privacy implications
- Outsourcing a system
- New methods of electronic communications
- New IT systems
- Sharing of personal data with other bodies
- New or different use of personal data
- New policies, or statutory duties
- Whenever there is a potential for damage or distress to individuals
Further guidance and a template form is available for staff and students below.