This involves a person, usually an adult or older adolescent's deliberate exposure of a child to sexual activity, usually for his /her own sexual gratification.
These include if an adult:
- Talks to you about sex, or shows you sexual images or videos (pornography).
- Attempts to have sex with you, or has sex with you.
- Touches you inappropriately
- Asks you to touch other persons inappropriately .
- Takes photographs of you inappropriately.
- Inappropriately watches you undress or use the bathroom.
If any of the above happen to you, you need to speak to someone you trust about it immediately.
Unfortunately, sometimes these acts are committed by people you trust. If this happens, you need to have the courage to speak to another trusted person. This is very important, because it can have life-long consequences on you.
The law states that children cannot consent to sexual activities. This means that even if a minor says yes to an adult to engage in any sexual activity, the law will be applied to the adult and they will be to prosecuted.
Useful to know
- What causes child sexual abuse?
- What are some characteristics of both abusers (offenders) and victims?
- What are signs and symptoms of child sexual abuse?
- What is grooming in child abuse?
- What are prevention tips for child sex abuse?
- What are help tips for parents and caregivers fro sexually abused children?
- What are important facts on sexual child abuse?