Bullying can leave you feeling anxious, depressed, lonely, worthless and scared - but it doesn't have to be like this.
What to do when you feel anxious?
Anxiety can sometimes make you feel tired, upset, worried, shaky, light-headed, frustrated or feeling like you might "go crazy". It can also present itself as a panic attack, or make you feel like you might be sick. Whenever you feel like this, remind yourself that:
- This is just anxiety.
- It is not real.
- It cannot harm me.
- I am not in danger.
- It will pass.
- I am in control.
What to do when you feel depressed?
"Depression" is actually an illness that can really affect people's lives and is diagnosed by a doctor.
If you think you are depressed you should talk to your doctor as soon as possible.Your doctor will be able to find out if you have depression and talk you through the types of treatments that are available.
What are the symptoms of depression?
Many signs or symptoms of depression are just the same as when you feel down or sad. If they continue for a long time, or get worse, then it might be time to talk to someone and tell them how you feel. Things that may indicate you have depression are:
- feeling sad or anxious most of the time
- not enjoying things that you used to enjoy
- tiredness or low energy, even when you have rested
- not eating much or overeating
- problems sleeping
- feelings of worthlessness
- feelings of guilt
- mood swings
- aches or pains that have no obvious cause
- negative thoughts and feelings
- not wanting to see people or go out.
If you have some or all of these symptoms, you should speak to your doctor.
What to do when you feel lonely?
Feeling lonely or isolated sometimes is normal, and people do go through periods of feeling like this throughout their lives. If the feelings of loneliness and isolation begin to take over, and turn into feelings of despair, or even depression, then this is more serious.
The most important thing if you are feeling alone or down is not to keep it all to yourself. Talking about how you feel to someone you trust will help them to understand, and means that they can support you. It can also help you work out why you feel lonely.
Why do some people feel lonely or isolated?
Someone who feels lonely or isolated may not actually physically be alone or cut off - they might be surrounded by other people and still feel like they are on their own. Some people can feel lonely and isolated because they:
- are shy and find it hard to make friends
- feel like they don't fit in and feel different from other people around them
- are being abused or bullied
- have a disability or illness
- are coming to terms with their sexuality
- have lost someone they were close to
- don't get on with their family, or don't see them very often.