Tips for revision
- Collect non-fiction material from magazines and newspapers and apply exam questions to them to help your practise your skills on real texts.
- Practise reading and tracking unseen texts to speed up your ability to read and process texts more quickly.
Tips for success - Reading exam
- Read the first question carefully, track the text for the answer and then write. Repeat for the next question.
- Manage exam time effectively.
- Answer all questions set.
Tips for success - Writing exam
- Read all the tasks.
- Plan 5 minutes, write for 20 minutes, check, correct and edit 5 minutes. Repeat.
- Use a range of language devices appropriate to the purpose.
- Write in well organised paragraphs.
- Aim for 500 words (2 sides of A4)
- Use punctuation accurately and vary sentence starts and structures.
Revision links - English Language
- Constructing sentences GCSE English Language on the BBC Bitesize website.
- GCSE English Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar Range this highly desirable all-in-one book website is ideal for helping students improve their spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Creative writing booklet English Language - Creative writing booklet.